7. This component will facilitate intensification and diversification of production by:
- making extension and adaptive research more relevant and accessible to farmers;
- encouraging the introduction and adoption of more effective agricultural production systems;
- reducing the risk associated with change, especially for small operators; and
- focusing on marketing extension.
8. This will be primarily addressed by mainstreaming ATMA activities, and improving the ATMA focus on market-led extension. The scope of Strategic Research and Extension Plans (SREPs) prepared under the centrally sponsored scheme will be enlarged to cover marketing extension and marketing related activities. Since the SREPs for most of the districts have recently been prepared, for each district a Marketing Strategy Supplement (MSS) will be prepared which will supplement the agricultural production enhancing aspects covered under the SREPs.
9. The project component A seeks to focus on the strengthening ATMA programme to facilitate market-led extension. This will call for reorientation of the extension functionaries to focus on improved productivity, quality, market information and improved methods of marketing based on the updated market information and intelligence. This renewed focus on ATMA extension system would necessitate strengthening ATMA by institution and operation, making them vibrant and efficient to face the emerging challenges in agricultural production, marketing and agri-business.
10.The focus would be on ways and means for developing and strengthening interdepartmental linkages to support not only Farmers Common Service centres (FCSC) but also for providing support to the farmers in all the districts to achieve increased income from their land based occupations involving crops, horticulture and livestock. The effort would be to implement ATMA programme as an integrated, demand-led and farmer-centered programme of all line departments with special focus on marketing extension in all the districts of the state.
11. The SREPs for all the districts in Maharashtra have recently been prepared and cover the production aspects